March 8, 2019: Talk at the NU Judaic Studies Colloquium read full news
I will talk about “Forgive and Forget after the Holocaust? The Christian Churches in Germany and the Guilt Question 1945-1955.” at UNL, Seaton Hall, noon.
November 6, 2018: Talk at the Center for Jewish Studies at the University of Florida at Gainesville read full news
– can’t wait to see some dear colleagues again – with special Thanks to Prof. Norman Goda!
November 1-5, 2018: Lessons and Legacies Conference on the Holocaust read full news
Looking forward to the Lessons and Legacies Conference in November at Washington University at St. Louis, where I will present my paper about “The International Red Cross and Relief for Jews during the Holocaust 1942-45”. Together with Jan Lambertz and Jan Lanicek I have put together a great workshop
I had a very productive time as Distinguished Fellow at the Center for Holocaust Studies at the Institute for Contemporary History in Munich read full news
In the spring and summer of 2018, I was a Distinguished Fellow at the Center for Holocaust Studies at the Institute for Contemporary History in Munich. The Institute for Contemporary History is one of the world’s leading centers for the study of national socialism and the Holocaust.
June 2018: Talk at the Austrian Studies Association Conference at the University of Vermont read full news
Our panel on “New Approaches to the Cold War in Austria” has been accepted and I am very much looking forward to my return to Burlington, Vermont – great people there, hope the weather will be nice (there is always time for a hike). Thanks to Guenter Bischof for organizing the panel!
May 13, 2018: Talk at the Jewish Cultural Weeks at Konstanz/Meersburg in Germany read full news
Historian Goetz Aly will be one of the guests.
May 2, 2018: Seminar about “The Nature of Evil: Studying Holocaust perpetrators” at the Mendel University of Brno read full news
I am very much looking forward to my talk and visit at the Mendel University of Brno (Czech Republic) – good to see friends again and to connect my two “worlds” in the US and Europe even more.
March 3-5, 2018: Talk at the Annual Scholars’ Conference on the Holocaust at the Univ. of Texas in Dallas read full news
The conference will be held on March 3-5, 2018 and will focus on the Holocaust and the Churches.
- February 26, 2018: Lecture about the The Red Cross in the Shadow of the Holocaust at the University of Vermont read full news
November 19, 2017: Talk at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York read full news
My talk at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York – Escaping Nuremberg: How Nazi Perpetrators Fled Justice was very well received – great audience of 300 Jewish and non-Jewish educators from New York, great questions – some feedback to the Museum about the talk: MS: “Fascinating, erudite, informative talk about a topic I … Continue reading November 19, 2017: Talk at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York
Great talk on October 23, 2017 at the Historisches Kolleg in Munich read full news
– I talked about my ideas for my new project on denazification and the Catholic Church – very interested audience and good turnout. Special Thanks to Prof. Andreas Wirsching (Institute for Contemporary History – Munich) for introducing me and moderating the evening.
- Looking forward to my fellowship at the Historische Kolleg in Munich fall of 2017/18 read full news
Starting my residency at the Bogliasco Foundation near Genoa Sept/Oct 2017 read full news
What a great place to work on research!
- 6 short questions about Humanitarians at War by History Net read full news
Jahrbuch Mauthausen was just published read full news
I am honored to contribute to the Jahrbuch Mauthausen 2016 (published by the Documentation Center/Mauthausen Memorial) with an article about Austria and the escape of Nazis and Holocaust perpetrators. Mauthausen was the largest concentration camp on Austrian territory.
Radio interview about Humanitarians at War is now online read full news
The role of the International Committee of the Red Cross during WWII is complicated. Closely bound to Switzerland the ICRC tried to remain neutral whilst at the same time operating with in the boundaries of the Geneva Conventions. Criticised for its failure to speak out during the Holocaust as the war came to a close … Continue reading Radio interview about Humanitarians at War is now online
- May 4, 2017: Presentation of my new book “Humanitarians at War” at the University of Stockholm read full news
- April 3-4, 2017: Holocaust Conference at Royal Holloway (London) in honor of David Cesarani, who passed away much too young. He was a great inspiration. I am very much looking forward to meeting colleagues and friends again. read full news
- French-speaking friends – here is my latest interview for French TV about the leadership of the Catholic Church and the Holocaust (2016) read full news
- February 19, 2017: Looking forward to my talk at Beth El Synagogue in Omaha about Humanitarians and the Holocaust read full news
- December 2016: Fantastic conference “1946: Year Zero” at the National WWII Museum at New Orleans! My talk was very well received – an audience of 600 people read full news